Subscribe for free: News alert
  • Follow us:
Victoria
25°C
Go to mobile version:

Aircraft debris found on island in Seychelles not from missing Malaysian plane

Victoria, Seychelles | July 19, 2017, Wednesday @ 10:59 in National » GENERAL | By: Betymie Bonnelame | Views: 2667
Aircraft debris found on island in Seychelles not from missing Malaysian plane

The debris does not originate from a Boeing 777 and specifically not from MH370, the Malaysian authority said. (Islands Development Company)

Photo license  

(Seychelles News Agency) - The Seychelles Civil Aviation Authority has received confirmation that the aircraft debris found on North Island in the Farquhar Atoll last week is not from Malaysian Airline MH370.

In a communiqué released on Tuesday, the Authority said the conclusion came after the Malaysian authorities viewed photos of the debris sent to them. 

“Our experts have concluded that the debris does not originate from a Boeing 777 and specifically not from MH370. The markings in the photograph are not consistent with those found on Boeing 777 or Rolls Royce,” said the senior air accidents investigator Aslam Basha Khan bin Zakaria Maricar.

The Seychelles Civil Aviation Authority said that it has not yet received a response from the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB). The Bureau has been interested in debris previously found in other parts of the Indian Ocean in connection with the disappearance of Malaysian Airline MH370 in 2014.

Pieces of the debris were found by rangers of the Island Conservation Society during an operation to track turtles and birds on the North Island last week. The largest is about 120 cm long and 30 cm wide and appears to be aluminium and carbon fibre.

The Malaysian Ministry of Transport has confirmed in a correspondence sent to the Seychelles Civil Aviation Authority (SCAA) that the aircraft debris found on North Island in the Farquhar Atoll last week is not from Malaysian Airline MH370 which disappeared 3 years ago.  

The Seychelles authority said it is working in close partnership with all authorities concerned in order to determine the origin of the aircraft debris.

“Such investigations are lengthy, extensive research and tests are required to be able to come to such a conclusive decision,” said Wilfred Fock Tave, Inspector of Accidents.

The authority said it will still retrieve the debris from the Farquhar Atoll and bring it to Mahe for further investigation.

The location of the missing Malaysian Airline MH370 has become one of the world's greatest aviation mysteries. It is believed to have gone down in the Indian Ocean. Various pieces of debris have been collected from Indian Ocean islands and Africa's east coast and at least three of them have been confirmed as coming from the missing Boeing 777.

General » Be a reporter: Write and send your article
Tags: Seychelles Civil Aviation Authority, Malaysian Airline MH370, Australian Transport Safety Bureau, Island Conservation Society

More from General →

Related Articles

national →

Top news


Archives

» Advanced search