Subscribe for free: News alert
  • Follow us:
Victoria
25°C
Go to mobile version:

Thousands evacuated after bomb threats in Moscow

Moscow, Russia | September 14, 2017, Thursday @ 07:50 in World » GENERAL | By: AFP | Views: 1015
Thousands evacuated after bomb threats in Moscow

Passengers wait in front of the closed doors of the Yaroslavsky railway terminal in Moscow on September 13, 2017. More than 15,000 people were evacuated Wednesday from several shopping centres, universities and train stations in Moscow after a series of bomb threats, Russian media reported. (Maxim ZMEYEV / AFP)

Photo license  Purchase photo

(AFP) - More than 15,000 people were evacuated Wednesday from several shopping centres, universities and train stations in Moscow after a series of bomb threats, Russian media reported.

A source in the emergency services told state-run TASS news agency that over 30 prominent locations including the famed GUM shopping centre on Red Square were temporarily emptied after anonymous telephone threats.

Interfax news agency cited a source as saying that over 15,000 people around the sprawling city were evacuated.

Neither the emergency services in Moscow nor the police could immediately confirm the incidents to AFP.

A representative for GUM told AFP that employees had been allowed back inside the building.

The spate of threats came after two days of similar calls caused disruptions in cities across Russia, with the state-run RIA Novosti news service reporting some 45,000 people were evacuated nationwide.

No bombs were found at any of the locations.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov on Wednesday said the country's intelligence services were investigating the threats.

© Agence France-Presse

General » Be a reporter: Write and send your article
Tags: Russia, threats

More from General →

Related Articles

national →

Top news


Archives

» Advanced search