Subscribe for free: News alert
  • Follow us:
Go to mobile version:

Saudi crown prince ordered op against missing journalist: report

Washington, United States | October 11, 2018, Thursday @ 08:10 in World » GENERAL | By: AFP | Views: 718
Saudi crown prince ordered op against missing journalist: report

A demonstrator dressed as Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (C) with blood on his hands protests outside the Saudi Embassy in Washington, DC, on October 8, 2018, demanding justice for missing Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi. US President Donald Trump said October 10, 2018 he has talked to Saudi authorities "at the highest level" to demand answers over what happened to missing journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
Trump told reporters at the White House that he talked to the Saudi leadership "more than once" since Khashoggi, a US resident and Washington Post contributor, vanished on October 2 after entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul. (Jim WATSON / AFP)

Photo license  Purchase photo

(AFP) - Saudi Arabia's crown prince and de facto ruler ordered an operation targeting journalist and US resident Jamal Khashoggi, who has been missing for more than a week, The Washington Post reported Wednesday citing US intelligence intercepts.

Khashoggi -- a US resident and one of the more outspoken critics of the regime of King Salman and his son, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman -- disappeared after entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on October 2, and Turkish officials suspect he was murdered.

The Post, a newspaper to which Khashoggi contributed, cited unnamed US officials as saying that Saudi officials had been heard discussing a plan to lure Khashoggi from the US state of Virginia, where he resided, and detain him.

The paper quoted several of Khashoggi's friends as saying that senior Saudi officials had approached him offering protection, or even a high-level government job, if he returned home -- but that Khashoggi was skeptical of the offers.

State Department deputy spokesman Robert Palladino earlier insisted that the United States had no forewarning of any concrete threat to Khashoggi.

"Although I can't go into intelligence matters, I can definitively say that we had no knowledge in advance of Mr Khashoggi's disappearance," Palladino told reporters.

The case has sparked outrage from human rights and journalism groups and threatens to harm ties between Saudi Arabia and the United States, which has demanded answers from the kingdom over the disappearance.

© Agence France-Presse

General » Be a reporter: Write and send your article
Tags: Turkey, Saudi, politics, diplomacy

More from General →

Related Articles

general →

Top news


Archives

» Advanced search